Snowy Morning

snowyBack to the story. This is a continuation from the last story I shared.

So, after months of doing this same work, it was obvious that I was being used only to do things no one else wanted to do. I scheduled a meeting with my boss one day, because I wanted to explain to him that I had interest to do more and that I thought I had proved myself to make that happen.

My boss was fine to schedule this meeting, and we decided to schedule the meeting the following week, on a day I typically didn’t volunteer. While I wasn’t excited about making the drive on a day off, I understood that this was something I had to do.

My meeting was scheduled to start at 8pm on a Wednesday. I woke up, nice and early at 6:30am, knowing I had plenty of time to go through my morning routine, and show up to the facility 15-20 minutes early. Well, lucky me, it snowed. And it snowed a lot. But I still had plenty of time to make it on time, or at worst, only a couple of minutes late.

Upon realizing that it snowed, which I learned from watching the news, I ran out to grab some boots from my car trunk. Walking to car, I was struck with a feeling… I don’t have my keys. So, I turned back towards my front door, when another feeling hit me, I had locked my bottom lock, out of habit. My stomach dropped. But, I had hoped that maybe I was over thinking it. I continued on to my front to learn that I was right… I locked myself out. No coat, just stuck.

Thankfully, the apartment office was opening up soon. I went and knocked on the door and was greeted by the friendly office manager. I told her my situation and asked if she could give me a key to my apartment. Seemingly embarrassed, she told me that the maintenance man was out with the master key, servicing another one of their buildings on the other side of town. Typically, waiting an hour wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but I had a big meeting with boss.

The office manager was kind enough to call and pay for a locksmith. They got the door open in the same amount of time it takes to turn the nob.  I got my keys and got out of there as quickly as possible. The roads were horrible. It took me 3 times the normal time and I was late. But despite how bad the roads were, and the time I lost waiting for my door to be open, I was less than 30 minutes late.

Upon entering the facility office, my boss quickly jumped out of his seat with a smirk on his face. I thought he was happy to see me and eager to start our meeting. But he approached me and told me that I was late and if I wanted to meet with him again, we can try for the next week. He was upset that I was late, and didn’t care about why.

I was devastated. I felt like I was wasting my time. I wasn’t above volunteering and working for free, which a larger goal in mind, but I was crushed that I just didn’t know if I was wasting my time or not.

There’s more to come on this story, which will come soon. Thank you for reading and I hope this is enjoyable for you. It’s very therapeutic for me.